Thursday 10 May 2007

Young@Heart

I saw this incredible documentary when it was shown on Channel 4 in the autumn of 2006. As one reviewer put it, "I haven't cried this much since Bambi's mum got shot"...

We saw a choir whose ages range from early 70s to early 90s singing Should I stay or should I go and I feel good; we followed them through their rehearsals for a show during which two of their number died; we saw them performing in a local prison; and the immortal performance of Coldplay's Fix You, let by octogenarian Fred Knittle (together with his breathing apparatus, which can be heard during the song) is quite simply the most moving thing I've ever seen.

Incidentally, we've just found out from the Young@Heart website that the documentary has been awarded not one but two awards in the Rose D'Or Festival in Lucerne: Best Art Documentary and the Best of 2007 Special Prize. It certainly deserves every accolade it gets.

Here are a few links:
and finally, here is the YouTube video of Fred Knittle:


(the little lady mouthing the words along with Fred at about the 1'55" point in the video, and standing at the end, is his wife, I understand)

No comments: